Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Want to see a $40.00 tic?



Two weeks ago Dave took the kids on a hike behind our house. The next day Dave discovered he had a tic on his hip. He decided to take a match and burn it off. It wasn't but a few minutes later I look at Keaton only to see something in his hair....as I parted Keaton's hair I see this HUGE tic burrowed in his scalp totally engorged. I grabbed the tic and pulled....I pulled again...and again and suddenly it let go. I tossed it in a bag and called our pediatrician. Long story short it was a deer tic and for piece of mind I sent it to California to have it tested for Lyme's disease.

We found out today it was negative.
Woo-hoo!!

10 comments:

Steffie B. said...

All I can say is Ewwwwwwww! Glad it came back negative!

kitchu said...

Oh thank GOD! That disease just reeks havoc on a body!

Chelley said...

EEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

So glad that it was negative....

Well worth the piece of mind and the $40

Beckyb said...

Scary and yucky - glad all is well though!!!

Jill W said...

Peace of mind is worth every penny of that $40.00!

Dawn and Dale said...

Oh my!!! How Freaky is that??!! Now you have me paranoid!! lol

Ohilda said...

Oh my gosh! How scary!! I didn't even know you can "send them away" to be tested. Glad to hear all was well.

-m- said...

Thank God it was negative!!!! That is scary.. It's hard to be extra vigilant with all the kiddos!! I don't know about yours, but mine roam free in the woods this time of the year..

Carrie said...

$40.00 and worth EVERY penny!

I wanted to mention that Steffie B. and beckyb. are two of the moms that we traveled with to adopt Olivia. Small world hey! I just emailed Becky and will have to share this with Stef. too, too funny!

Sophie's Mom said...

Ticks... ewww! I pulled one off Sophia's temple about a week ago, he was stuck pretty good. Didn't think to send it away.. just disposed of it. Tell hubby not to burn a tick (while on you), it can cause the tick to do more damage by stressing it out, it puts more harmful stuff into you when you do that. Just plucking it out is what doctor's recommend. Up here in Maine we have a little 'tick tool', which looks like a plastic teaspoon with a little V cut out of it. It works pretty good, you scoop them out, without having to get tweezers or touch them. We've been loaded with them for a few years. We're getting 6 guinea hens, they eat them from morning till night. Can't wait!
Christine